|See more pics at my Facebook album!|
Many thanks to Artworks on the Square for hosting this release party. We had a great turnout of about 40 or so people! I'm happy to report there were few crises involved, outside of baking a last minute tray of pigs in blanket an hour before setup and temporarily losing the key to the cash box.
There was also an incident with an escaped flying mattress, but it was not involved with this particular event.
All in all, pre-book signing jitters were unfounded and I had such a blast talking to so many like minds and old friends. I can only hope the next one (which will be minus the party favors) will still be as successful!
It's still so surreal to think my book is finally out there. I had to go to the book store and confirm it was there sitting on the shelf awaiting the hands of another artist.
I cannot wait to see just how far this inspiration can spread!
If you end up buying my book, feel free to let me know how you enjoyed it, what else you'd like to learn, and of course, to share your wonderful creations with me! You can add photos to my Fan photos on Facebook here.
Hope to catch you all at the next signing!
Things I Learned:
- 2 small platters of catered food do not feed 40 people. Lesson learned! Note also that pigs in blanket cost half as much and make twice as much as the precooked stuff if you make them yourself. Yummy! Recipe linkage. Also, petit flours are always the first desserts to go.
- Offer combo deals. It's ridiculous to think my calendar costs more than my book because of it's low run, custom printed nature. So, those who bought the book got a $5 discount on the $25 calendar. (Thanks for the suggestion, Vicki!)
- Cardigans make me feel smart! They seem to be proper authorial attire and are quite comfortable.
- Found a great source for bookmarks! They were approved, printed, and shipped within 2 days of ordering with someone calling me on the phone to inform me of their progress at each step! Thanks so much to ladyprinting.com! I was able to get a small amount of 2x7 bookmarks without a setup fee, like most of the other places I looked at.
- Found an equally awesome source for tassels (eBay seller: Purpledoug1959) and vinyl bookmark sleeves (www.clearbags.com)
- People really loved the free bookmarks! Going to keep handing these at conventions and other signings (minus the vinyl sleeves and tassels). They're much less expensive than my grand plans to make custom leather bookmarks to give out. People love items they can use and having my website at the bottom means they'll have a constant reminder of where to find me at.
- Last (but not least!), with any signing, I am there to sell something I believe in! I know my product is awesome, that I'm sharing something worthwhile, regardless of the amount of people who show up! Advice to live by from my darling bosom friend, Hayley E. Lavik.